The main features of presentation are: It allows an editor or the presenter to insert and format text, it allows the editor to insert and control graphical images and it forms a slide shows structure to display the inserted texts and graphic images.
Power Point is one of the most efficient software developed for making presentations. It allows users to create slides with descriptions, transitions, recordings and other features to present data and information.
It is important to create presentations that will be attractive and professional. An effective presentation has features like succinct content, good quality graphics and suitable design.
- Create your slides judiciously: Templates selection must be consistent throughout the presentation. Power point comes with different types of templates but you can create a customized template. Templates can also be downloaded, make sure you select template that will be professional and will make texts readable. Avoid making design graphics too large to create room for message. Select font format and sizes carefully, make sure the texts are readable and not too big. Use more graphics to explain, avoid overcrowding the slides with text. Too much of texts will make the presentation boring.
- Use contrast background and text: Black or red or blue or green text on white background can be used. But the most common and appropriate combination is black text on white background.
- Plan your contents: Planning your contents involves writing down the purpose of the presentation and trying to achieve this purpose with the content of the presentation. It is also important to understand your audience attentions at this stage.
- Keep messages precise and simple: Slides are made for sharing points and not for full explanations or telling stories. Messages on slides should be direct and not complex for the audience to comprehend. Keep it in mind that presentations are to compliment talks.
- Have the audience in mind when preparing presentation: Keeping the audience in mind involves understanding your audience and assessing the level of their knowledge. This will help in streamlining the message to the fundamentals. It is important to communicated at the level of understanding of the audience, if you don’t they will be lost and the presentation will be boring.
- Use each slide to express one idea: Trying to overcrowd a slide with different ideas can be unattractive for the audience. Jam-packed presentations are boring for the audience; it is better to make simple slides with one idea on each slides.
- Use images cautiously: Avoid frequent use of images, use images only the provide additional information or when they provide visual evidence to abstract ideas or points.
Presentations are only effective when they are prepared as it should be, keeping the audience in mind will assist in making sure suitable proper guidelines are followed during the process of creating the power point presentation.