Web graphics are visual representations used on a website designed for web users, to enhance or enable the representation an idea or feeling. Most users would readily recognize a collection of bare web pages as an unpleasantly odd web site.
Site defining individuality graphics do not need to be extravagant, but they do need to be steady or consistent across the range of pages in a website for the user to establish a sense that your pages are a distinct region. Graphics are put in place on websites to entertain, educate, or emotionally influence the user of the website.
Infographic simply means a visual representation of data or information in a graphic format to create easy understanding of a set of information or data. Examples include pie chart, diagram, bar chart, flow chart etc. Infographics are very useful in content marketing.
Banner ads are made for advertising a particular brand or to attract web users from the host website to the advertiser’s website. Banner ads are the long, rectangular image that can be placed anywhere on a web page. Majorly, banner ads are 468 pixels wide and 60 pixels high. The aim of using banner for advertising makes them image based and not text based to attract web users through use of attractive images.
- The design of graphics must be in line with the mission, vision and aim/purpose of the company or business. The graphic must not contradict the policy of the company. Wrong use of graphics can discourage some customers from patronizing the company or business.
- The characteristics of the graphic such as color, fonts etc. must fit the style of the web page where the graphic content will be in added. The use of contradicting graphics on web pages can make websites look unprofessional. Also, when using text in graphics, make sure there is sufficient contrast between the text and the background color.
- Shun the use of large files that will extend loading time of the page. This doesn’t mean that very small files or images of low quality should be used. There should be a balance between the size of the file and the quality of the file/image.
- Avoid the use of graphics to convey textual content information. Graphics are usually image based and not text based. Although, text may be included in graphics but it must be minimal. This is because text graphics cannot be resized, creating difficulty for users with impaired sight. Also, texts are to be used exclusively for profound explanation while graphics can just be summary of a data or information.
- Graphics should direct the attention of website users to significant information. Attractive graphics will draw attention to important information you want to pass to users. Care should be taken in the use of graphics to draw attention of users; graphics should be used for important information only. Users will neglect graphics if they notice they are used indiscriminately.